Enpass encrypts all your data using the master password. You also unlock the app with it. Make the masterpassword strong. If you lose it, we cannot help you recover it. Write it down and store it in a safe, secure place. For tips on creating a strong password, see this blog post.
The master password is irrecoverable.
Advanced users can add another layer of security by using a keyfile with the password. Enpass appends the characters in the keyfile to the password and uses them together to encrypt your data.
To add a keyfile for your device, you need to:
- Generate a keyfile from your desktop and
- Add it your device.
Generating a keyfile¶
To generate a keyfile, follow these steps:
- Open Enpass on your desktop, click Settings > Security > Change master password.
- Enter the master password. Click Continue.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Advanced.
- Click Generate keyfile.
- Name the keyfile and save it.
- In the Enter New password and Confirm New password fields, enter the master password.
- Click Done.
You have successfully created a keyfile.
If you have created multiple vaults and added keyfiles to them, you will need them to open these vaults.
Keep the keyfile safe and secure as you will not be able to log in to Enpass without it. It is also irrecoverable- so backup all your keyfiles.
Generating QR code for a keyfile¶
To generate QR code for the keyfile, follow these steps:
- From Enpass on your desktop, click Settings > Vaults.
- Select the particular vault.
- Click the ellipsis menu button (3 vertical dots) at the top right corner.
- Click Keyfile QR Code. (Back)
To remove a keyfile, follow these steps:
- From Enpass on your desktop, click Settings > Security > Change Master Password.
- In the Change Password screen, authorize yourself with the master password.
- Click Advanced at the bottom.
- Click Remove keyfile.
- Enter the password.
- Click Done.
You have removed the keyfile.