Working and Security¶
The simple and smooth browsing you do with Enpass is the result of mutual working of Enpass App, Enpass plugin (extension) and Enpass Helper. Each and every single component has its unique functionality.
Components of Enpass¶
- Main Enpass App- This is the main application that you execute yourself from the launcher and it runs as unique process in OS. Among all the components, only it can access the data from encrypted Enpass keychain. Enpass App needs to be running in order to use Browser Extension.
- Enpass Extension- Enpass Extension is the program that integrates into web browsers. It is responsible for filling the login and credit card details.
- Enpass Helper- It is the component that does all UI (user interface) work in the browser like presenting the list of items, taking user inputs and various other prompts. The Enpass Helper always runs in the background as a seperate process in OS with main Enpass App and closes automatically with that. Also there is no direct communication between Helper and Extension and every such requirement is fulfilled by Enpass App.
Enpass App communicates with Helper and Extension over a local web socket. We have tried to ensure maximum security so that no one can eavesdrop your sensitive data.
- Extension Validity Check- When a browser extension tries to connect to main App, we also verify the origin of the connection, it must be the unique identifier of our browser extension and browser will not allow any two extensions with same ID.
Browser Validity Check is not available on Linux as code singing is not available here.
Advice for users¶
For maximum security we advice users to
- Download browsers from the legitimate sources only.
- Carefully install the third party extensions.